Dear all,

I am delighted to announce that Alexandra Hurcikova, of the University
of Edinburgh, is this year's winner of our annual undergraduate essay
prize competition.  Our warm congratulations go to Alexandra, as well
as to Fiona Mackay, who nominated the winning essay (yet again!).  Our
sincere thanks also go to Claire Annesley, University of Manchester,
who kindly judged this year's competition.  Dr. Annesley's comments on
the winning entry are as follows:

Winner:
Alexandra Hurcikova (Edinburgh) Nominated by Fiona Mackay.
This is an outstanding essay which re-interprets conventional
conceptualisations of security through a feminist lens. The author
considers from a feminist perspective whom the state protects, how
insecurities are reproduced and who is affected by insecurity. The
essay has an impressive grasp of the issues and theories and the
author is able to navigate effortlessly a broad literature. It is
exceptionally well written and argued.

We hope to be able to present our winner with a cheque for £150 at one
of our events next year.

If you mark an outstanding essay on gender and politics in the coming
year, please think to submit it to next year's competition (closing
date: 30 June).

Best wishes
Rainbow

--
Dr. Rainbow Murray
Senior Lecturer, School of Politics and International Relations

New monograph: Parties, Gender Quotas and Candidate Selection in
France (Palgrave).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Parties-Candidate-Selection-Politics-Society/dp/0230242537/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265230577&sr=8-1

New edited book: "Cracking the Highest Glass Ceiling: A Global
Comparison of Women's Campaigns for Executive Office."
http://www.greenwood.com/catalog/A2666C.aspx