Hello Don and all,

I found this idea particularly relevant:

"Design needs to develop its own experimental methods. They should be simple and quick, looking for large phenomena and conditions that are "good enough." But they must still be sensitive to statistical variability and experimental biases. These methods do not exist: we need some sympathetic statisticians to work with designers to develop these new, appropriate methods."

However, I wonder if there is a recommended design research journal for publishing research that is open to innovative design research methods that are "simple and quick". When you read the list of journals that Ken shared with us last January (Design Research Journal Study <https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=PHD-DESIGN;f4a97cf0.1001>), it seems that the top journals only accept very traditional research designs. In other words, if the journals in our field are trying to be "scientifically rigorous" by demanding traditonal experimental methods, how design researchers can innovate and share new methods with the design research community? I must recognize that I am not familiar with all the journals in the list.

I also have the sense that these journals have a better reception for research on design rather than research by/through design (Birger earlier said that research by design "is a version of practice-based design that is proprietary for design"). This situation also discourages and reduces our opportunities to share explorations on developing our "own experimental methods".
Best,

G. Mauricio Mejía
Assistant professor, University of Caldas, Colombia.
PhD in Design student, University of Minnesota, US.
http://mejia.disenovisual.com