Just FYI -- I am in the midst of field research for my dissertation,
which is on exactly what Mattias requested: the theories-in-action of
interaction designers. I will be following projects at three different
interaction design consultancies in San Francisco and Silicon Valley.
One of the interesting debates among the designers I've been following,
which adds another level to the question, is whether it makes sense to
differentiate between interaction and experience design, and if so, what
would that difference be? Another interesting question: how are
definitions of interaction design implemented in practice, when
designers with various self-identities (service designer, interaction
designer, visual designer, etc) are assigned duties on different projects?

In any case, I concur with all of the previous recommendations, and
would also recommend the 2nd edition of Lucy Suchman's classic Plans and
Situated Actions, now retitled Human-Machine Reconfigurations.

Liz