On Nov 13, 2010, at 8:01 AM, Jody Boehnert wrote:
> Leopold's basic preset: *'A thing is right when it tend so preserve the
> integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when
> it tends otherwise'.* **Aldo Leopold. The Land Ethic. 1947 This obviously
> needs quite alot of fleshing out to figure out how it would be put into
> practice! Some starting points would include: dramatically reducing the need
> for fossil fuels and the environmental footprint of the materials, products,
> processes and spaces that we design.

While I agree with the need for reducing the use of fossil fuels, etc., "stability. . . of the biotic community" has a couple of problems. The first is the assumption of stability, The second is the very phrase "biotic community." Who is part of this community and who is not?

Gunnar
Gunnar Swanson Design Office
1901 East 6th Street
Greenville NC 27858