Hi Terence and List,
Good questions. I am tempted to say design in the 'ethics for/in design' pertains to 'all of the above'(!). How else can it be for ethics?
But if I am to aim more modestly, then I say, by 'design' for both cases of (1) ethics for design and (2) ethics in design, 'design' ought to imply the specific, field-centric activity and practice of design. In other words, in my own field, (1) and (2) ought to be exactly, 'ethics for (architectural) design' and 'ethics in (architectural) design'. [fill in within the bracket any other specified field of design, i.e., industrial, fashion, graphic, urban, policy, etc]
You may ask, 'why should one select the activity and practice above other definitions'? At least for me, I see this definition as offering the greatest practical dividend: because the definition of design is specified, it is therefore possible to locate and apply theories found in moral philosophy into the activity of (architectural) design for (1), and for (2), it is also possible to begin a fruitful conversation about the role and purpose of ethics in (architectural) education and practice. In my mind at least, I see peers in industrial design, graphic design, interaction design and other fields of design doing the same thing concurrently. Over time, it may be possible to build up sufficient case studies and ideas for an inter-field design ethics dialogue. This dialogue can then be bootstrapped to (3) [or at least begin to approach it], which is the domain-general sense of 'design' encapsulated by the ethics of design.
Of course the biggest pitfall of my imagined approach is that I am assuming a great dialogue with many fields of design supported by ample cases and data can amount automatically to a clear grand work of axioms or systems as the ethics of design. I am guilty as charged. But I am willing to take a stab at this--at least both commitment and feasibility are present in this approach.
On your second question on enforcement, I am reminded of the Kantian question of 'what ought I do?'. This is the quintessential question of ethics, and it is asked afresh at every action juncture or simply, everyday. Legitimation, laws, justice systems and force and any other entrenched institutions are simply incapable of keeping up with this challenge of ethics. These possibilities, I think, are nothing but contingent inventions that attempt to reduce our uncertainties during ethical challenges. So to answer your question in the most straightforward manner, I don't think we can enforce ethics. We may try to with our codes of [professional] conduct in our respective fields of design but these are but ethos--partially deontological but mostly consequentialist and contractualist protocols that attempt to convert thorny problems into clear action directives. In my opinion, they can reinforce ethical behavior but they cannot effectively enforce ethical behavior nor can they genuinely encourage ethical behavior. To encourage ethical thinking and acting, we will have to go back to the original Kantian question. Asking the Kantian question will take acculturation, conditioning, willingness, a community that asks the same question, and a hosts of other conditionals including moral courage for the beginning of ethics.

Jeff