Dear fellow ludics

In Australia we have a wonderful story about a magic pudding by Norman
Lindsay (The Magic Pudding) :

"You'll enjoy this Puddin'," said Bill, handing him a large slice.
"This is a very rare Puddin'."

"It's a cut-an'-come-again Puddin'," said Sam.

"It's a Christmas steak and apple-dumpling Puddin'," said Bill.

"It's a *. Shall I tell him?" he asked, looking at Bill. Bill nodded,
and the Penguin leaned across to Bunyip Bluegum and said in a low voice,
"It's a Magic Puddin'."

Art, as practice, is like a magic pudding: you can just keep on arting
slices off the magic endlessness of possibility. Such is true of life:
one thing follows another in an endless sequence. Of course this is a
illusion that we don't often bother to puff away with the seeds of
weeds.

So, life is primary and the history of life is a secondary activity
that is also part of life and hence it is sometimes primary, as an
experience of making, for historians; sometimes secondary, as the
experience of readers of history. Though, sometimes, reading history is
a making of another history and can thus be experienced as a primary
awareness - an awareness of something as a thing that changes one like
when we see a painting or a film that changes us.

Some artists enjoy this slippage from a primary object (actual
painting) to another primary object (subjective experience of a
painting). Some resist the slip and attempt to hold on to something that
might survive the critic or historian or stupid kid who thinks PoMo is
crap.

Whatever, history (as a mere sequence of events) was changed forever
when humans started to tell stories about mere sequences of events. This
change was a cognitive change not simply a trade union dispute between
those who performed actions and those who reflected on actions performed
(frequently the same person in a reflective society).

One might suggest that the values given to certain social activities,
like art, are only discernible in a reflective society. That is, without
language about art there is no art, there is merely mucking about with
paint and stuff. The fact that languages about art might also be
embedded in works of art as derivable meanings is hardly surprising.
Until we name a dive it is merely another way of falling from a tower.

And, I suggest that there is quite an amount of rudeness inherent in
such discussions. All of us make all of the time; some of us reflect on
such makings in a developing critique of our lives. If we elect certain
objects of our making to the status of refinement we might call art or
design, it is because these objects can be seen to embody a range of
values that we have derived from reflection on our makings and the
makings of others, including our makings of conversation, discourse,
theory, and criticism.

Hey it's wet today

cheers

keith russell