Thanks for sharing this experience  -

Anne

On Nov 26 2010, Georgina Mills wrote:

Just an example of the of the way I was able to alter my practice -

I was apporached by a new mother on her second day back to work and who was
struggling with keeping her milk production under controll whilst at work
8hours per day (She had some leakage the day before and had to go home to
get changed). Due to the knowledge I gained on the placement day, I was able
to refer her to a breast feeding support group - who very convienienty had a
meeting that afternoon 3/4 of a mile from her work place.

She attended on her lunch break and was able to meet other mothers who do
the same thing (express at work), she was able to gain support from them,
the breast feeding nurse and a few weeks into her new routine was able to
support other mothers in the choice to continue breast feeding.

In adition - I wasnt able to provide the breast feeding nurse with any
additional information on breast feeding at work policies, she had just
about written the book on it. I would say I gained much more from this than
she did.

The mother has continued to express and breastfeed her daughter who is now
11months old. Way past her original expectation of 7 months. Mother
Benefits, Child Benefits, Workplace Benefits. Win Win so far!

Kindest regards,

Georgina
On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 3:03 PM, [log in to unmask] <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello Georgina
>
> I am glad to read that it was a positive experience for you and a day well
> spent. I am sure many OH students are reading they may be interested in
> knowing what *new *knowledge you gained and how it influenced or *changed
> * your practice. There is one definite benefit – but I see the benefit
> more to the breast feeding nurse rather than to the OHN. The breast feeding
> support nurse gets the opportunity to learn about OH.
>
> I know how difficult it is to get time out of work for visits. For example
> I regularly organise field trips (eg a practical risk assessment in the Palm
> House at Kew Gardens) and visits to employment tribunals (ET) and many of
> our students say that their employer will not allow them the time from work
> unless they take A/L. An ET has definite relevance to our practice and if
> they can’t get time to attend an ET then I very much doubt they would be
> able to negotiate time with a breast feeding adviser.
>
> Anne
>

> On 26/11/2010 12:49, "Georgina Mills" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> The breast feeding suppport nurse was suggested by the Uni, like you I
> was confused as to what I could learn from the experience.
>
> When I attended I explained why I was there (or why I though I was there at
> the time!!!) and the mothers were all very happy to discuss their
> experiences. I was really surprised at the amount of mothers who were ready
> to give up breast feeding on return to work - many of them knew about their
> employers policy on supporting breast feeding at work (ie time away to use a
> breast pump etc) but just felt too stressed at the thought of
> asking/arranging the time along with their normal duties. The breast feeding
> nurse gave a wealth of information to the mothers that day about the
> possibilites of continuing breast feeding at work. You are right - they were
> well established breast feeders during maternity leave, but none of them
> were ready for the implications of carrying on with breast feeding
> whilst working - I was a breast feeding mother and gave up on return to work
> - if I had extra support I dare say I would have continued.
>
> The experience has assisted me on two occasions since and although I
> totally understand your point - I felt it was a really valid placement for
> OH -
>
> I used my holiday entitlement and weekends to arrange my practice placement
> so I fully understand the importance of justifying placements - but I must
> say that this was a day's holiday well spent!
>
> Georgina
>
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 9:38 PM, [log in to unmask] <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hello Georgina
>
> I would totally support students spending time with Travel clinics, family
> planning (support of young workers), audiology (excellent idea) etc.
> However, out of interest what did you gain from the breast feeding support
> [...]

<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>