I think the physician's reasoning is flawed here; how would the physio know what occupational tasks he is fit for unless they have an inherent understanding of the job demands? Focus instead on how long he can stand, sit, walk, lift arms etc for (as relevant to the job demands). A good indicator for this is his non work activities too; does he have young children? If so can he change nappies etc (ability to bend), lift out of car seats (bend forward and twist), carry shopping, doing housework/gardening/car care etc. And stress the importance of his self care continuing (e.g. strengthening exercises) once his active treatment has finihed.

Carr