Sharon, you are quite right. It is based on an 8 hour time weighted average but it could of course add to someone’s daily exposure albeit minimally.

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sharon SMith
Sent: 11 November 2010 11:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] paper hand towels versus air blade dryer

Isn't it time weighted too,the length of time they are there is seconds as these are high speed dryers. So surely the noise shouldn't be an issue?

Sharon

"richard chalkley (IAH-C)" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: [log in to unmask]

11/11/2010 11:37

Please respond to
Occupational Health mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject

Re: [OCC-HEALTH] paper hand towels versus air blade dryer

Frank,

If the operating noise level is 85 dB(A) then you add 3 dB(A) for every additional 85 dB(A) noise source so:

2 Airblades – 88 dB(A)
3 Airblades – 91 dB(A)

At 85 dB(A), if this were working machinery, you would have to offer hearing protection, above this it would have to be mandatory…

Perhaps stick with good old hand towels?

Richard.