hey thanks for sending this Sarah

the closest ACCA comes to dealing with "art in the age of mechanical
reproduction" is discrete video installation and some very nice  sound
works.
so they would not be familiar with media art in its broader sense.
I imagine its their first foray into any thing distributed or
networked or engaging with a wider community.

Interesting most things i see in the gallery context dealing with
printing technology these days lean a heavily in the manufactures
favor- the art being a mere example of what the technology can do..
Francesca de Rimini and I were discussing just last night a project
were artists were given a free color photocopier (when they first
emerged forever ago) for 3 months to make art with no corporate
strings attached..

more info at:
http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/gallery-copyright-rules-under-fire-20101027-173z9.html

and a nice pic of the ACCA building with some pre gaff hype.
http://killpixie.net/blog/?p=316

Melinda

Melinda Rackham

On 01/11/2010, at 8:00 PM, Sarah Cook wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Rob Gorbet <[log in to unmask]>
>> Date: 31 October 2010 21:30:39 GMT
>> To: Sarah Cook <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Re: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] another technology company and
>> museum partnership....
>>
>> Amazing that anyone who would promote the show with reference to
>> Benjamin's work hadn't fully thought through -- nay, didn't even have
>> a satisfactory answer to -- the copyright issues around it.
>>
>> Rob.
>> --
>> Rob Gorbet, PhD, PEng
>> Associate Professor, Centre for Knowledge Integration
>> University of Waterloo, Waterloo ON  N2L 3G1
>>

>> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Sarah Cook
>> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> thought this article from artnet magazine might be of interest --
>>> anyone in
>>> Australia care to comment?
>>>
>>> Oct. 28, 2010
>>> AUSSIE ART CENTER KILLS PRINTER PROJECT
>>> Melbourne’s Australian Centre for Contemporary Art (ACCA) and
>>> Hewlett-Packard are smarting from an interactive art installation/
>>> product
>>> showcase gone wrong. The piece, dubbed
>>> myworkisintheaustraliancentreforcontemporaryart, was intended to
>>> run Oct.
>>> 25-Nov. 7, 2010, and was essentially a promotion for HP’s "ePrinter"
>>> technology, allowing anyone to email an artwork to a printer
>>> located in
>>> ACCA’s foyer. Less than a week into the run, however, the printer
>>> was taken
>>> offline, according to The Age, amid a hubbub from artists
>>> condemning the
>>> piece for copyright provisions giving the HP ownership of all the
>>> works
>>> submitted. Artists Damon Kowarsky and Deborah Kelly had even