medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture As part of my on-going research on medieval hermits I am looking at some aspects of the terminology used by hagiographers and other authors when referring to these individuals.  I have come across the use of the word 'magister' with regard to characters such as Robert of Arbrissel and Vitalis of Savigny, both leaders in the eremitic activity of north-west France.  This is not surprising considering their prominent roles but I have also found it used of some lesser known hermits which has led me to wondering about the use of the term and the master-servant relationship within this context.

I am trying to find out whether anyone has done any research on this.  I have looked at various on-line catalogues including copac and worldcat but have not found anything relevant.  It may be that there isn't anything but I just want to make sure that I am not missing any significant article on the subject.  I am looking at roughly a period between 1050 to 1250 and western Europe or perhaps anything connected with the use of the term as it might be applied to the hermits of the Egyptian Thebaid, Palestine, Syria, etc. of the 4th and 5th centuries to see if there is any precendent.

Also, a similar request for the use of the term 'vir Dei' which is frequently used of hermits in the 11th and 12th centuries.  Again, I have not come across anything in the catalogues, although I am sure that Dom Jean Leclercq wrote something on this but I have not been able to find it.

I should be very grateful if anybody knows of any works on either term.

Best wishes,

Jackie