From: John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>

> Today (17. November) is the feast day of:

> 4)  Anianus of Orléans (d. 453).

> By the sixth century there was a monastery at A.'s tomb at Orléans.  Early
in the eleventh century Robert II le Pieux refounded this house as a canonry
and rebuilt its church.

> Though most of the eleventh-century church was pulled down in 1359 in
anticipation of the English siege, its crypt survives.  A French-language
account of this monument is here:

> http://tinyurl.com/3cyuvo

a very important survival, in that its carved capitals represent the rather
dismal state of figurative sculpture in the early 11th c.

http://extraordinarybookofdoors.com/images/saint-aignan%20orleans.jpg

this monument is often cited as an example of the Beginnings of "Romanesque"
sculpture in France.

plus, if you Google "Saint-Aignan Orleans" for images you get this happy
fellow:

http://img.over-blog.com/244x299/2/03/49/75//murat.jpg

enough to sober anyone up.

> Two illustrated, French-language pages on the early twelfth-century chapelle
Saint-Aignan in Paris, founded by Stephen of Garland, Louis VI's chancellor
and dean of Saint-Aignan at Orléans:

> http://www.pierre-abelard.com/itin-Saint%20Aignan.htm
> http://tinyurl.com/5z7dam

as i believe i mentioned on this date some years ago, this modest place is
important, not only for the political affiliations it has, but because it is
the oldest above-ground ecclesiastical structure surviving on the
Ile-de-la-Cité.

the rather high quality of its stonework and of the carving of its capitals

http://www.paris.catholique.fr/IMG/jpg/sa11.jpg

http://www.paris.catholique.fr/IMG/jpg/sa16.jpg

is a precious and quite rare testimony to what sculpture looked like in the
early [pre-Gothic] 12th c.

at least, for work which was commissioned by Rich People.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]