German departments are being closed, jobs are being axed all over the
place, so what’s so special about Dr Anne Simon? Three things. Firstly,
she is my successor, which gives me a particular interest. She was
appointed to the medieval post in the University of Bristol German
Department in 1992, two years before I retired from that post in 1994,
after holding it since 1967 in succession to Dr Estelle Morgan and
therefore by proxy to August Closs. Secondly, she seems by all accounts to
have been informed, curtly and unceremoniously, that she was to go without
the framers of this decision having consulted the rest of the department.
Thirdly, her departure would deprive the department not only of the only
colleague able to teach German literature before the modern period (during
her term of office she has extended medieval studies to medieval and early
modern studies), but also of the widest-ranging teacher in the department,
who forays out into the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries (as of course all we
medievalists do), offering courses on travel literature and on Judaism and
Islam in the second year. In addition, in her final-year unit on
Nuremberg, her special field of research interest, she covers not only the
Hans Sachs period, but also Nuremberg of the NS rallies and the trials, as
well as the contemporary city. Her departure would leave a
doctor-candidate without supervisor and break off any link between German
medieval studies in the neighbouring disciplines of French, Italian and
Spanish. It is not without relevance that she is a founder-member and
active participant in the University’s Centre for Medieval Studies, on the
steering-committees of both the Art Lecture series and the Centre for
Classical Studies (a book on the Medea legend co-edited by her appeared
only recently) and has been engaged for many years on a book on the
importance of Nuremberg in the early modern period. I think there is a
case for making the ‘powers that be’ rethink their decision. German in
Bristol cannot afford to lose anybody (staff-numbers have already been
reduced to four – it was eleven when I was appointed), least of all Anne
Simon.

--
Professor Frank Shaw
57 Westbury Road