What a thought Brenda!  Perhaps I am showing the limitations of my expectations in assuming that a gift to executors, all eminent Oxford men and canons of St Paul's, should be of liturgical, or at least celebratory, significance.  I think, from the comments received so far, that the equivalent of a modern punch bowl might be the nearest thing.  But, as usual, I am concentrating too much on the minutiae and now have to cut out all interesting detail in the article to fit it to my word limit.

best,
Rosemary
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Ms B M Cook
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 8:56 PM
Subject: Re: [M-R] what is a 'crater'?

Thank you Bill.  I should have said that I had checked Latham and not liked the definitions there!  I thought the bishop was unlikely to leave a silver gilt ‘catch-basin (for sewage)’

Chamber Pot ????

Silver / Silver gilt were highly prized as being hygienic.

Everyone needed these in the days before Harrington's little invention caught on ....

BMC