  Thank you Bill.  I should have said that I had checked Latham and not liked the definitions there!  I thought the bishop was unlikely to leave a silver gilt ‘catch-basin (for sewage)’

  Chamber Pot ????

  Silver / Silver gilt were highly prized as being hygienic.

  Everyone needed these in the days before Harrington's little invention caught on ....

  BMC

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]