I've seen several charms invoking them against "falling sickness"--epilepsy.  Thus, from Robert Reynes's 15th-century commonplace book: "Jasper bears myrrh, Melchior incense, Balthazar gold. Whoever will carry with him the names of these three kings will be freed from falling sickness through the Lord's pity. Come you angel, who, through heavenly pity, guards me."  But they also occur--along with the names of God, etc.-- in all-purpose charms, like the so-called "Charlemagne charm."  I've also seen them invoked in an early 16th-C spurious indulgence.  Clearly either singly or in combination with other divine names they were considered powerful.  Don C. Skemer's _Binding Words: Textual Amulets in the Middle Ages_ is useful here.

Best,
John

----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen Morris <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 09:48:11 -0500 (EST)
Subject: [M-R] Magi and white magic

Dear All:

Any chance anyone has any specifics about the magical uses to which the Magi were put? What did they protect from or attract? Specific invocations/conjurations? Does anyone recall the July date for the commemoration of their relics' translation?

Thanks much!

Stephen

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]
John Shinners
Professor, Schlesinger Chair in Humanistic Studies
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana 46556
Phone: 574-284-4494 or 574-284-4534
Fax: 284-4855
www.saintmarys.edu/~hust

"Learn everything.  Later you will see that nothing is superfluous."     -- Hugh of St. Victor (d. 1141)

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]