Jim and All:

I would like to read more about the Magi and "white magic." Any suggestions or leads?

Stephen

--- On Sat, 11/20/10, Madeleine Gray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Madeleine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [M-R] Essex amulet
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, November 20, 2010, 3:30 PM

I'd thought Helen because the cross is so substantial and realistic. I'm more used to seeing saints like Margaret depicted with lighter crosses like processional crosses. I can't off hand find Helen with the cross and without a crown, but she doesn't seem to be crowned in the alabaster of her seeking the Cross in Cheetham, Alabaster Images.

The person from the BM who replied to my colleague suggested that the blood drops (if that's what they are), and probably the 'pecks' on the cross on the front, were originally enamelled in red. We'd like to see some evidence of enamel in at least one slot. I was reading the pecks on the cross as indicating the grain of the wood, the lignum vitae, and the tradition that when found the Cross exuded healing oil from the grain of its wood.

The Oxford Dictionary of Saints notes that Geoffrey of Monmouth claimed that Helena was daughter of King Coel of Colchester, and this was widely credited in the Middle Ages. As the find spot was in Essex, there might be a link. On the other hand, the style of the amulet looks late, and the cult of Helen became political in the early Tudor period as Henry VII claimed descent from her in her Welsh persona as the Helen of the 'Dream of Macsen Wledig'.

Maddy

Dr Madeleine Gray
Reader in History
School of Education/Ysgol Addysg
University of Wales, Newport/Prifysgol Cymru, Casnewydd
Caerleon Campus/Campws Caerllion,
Newport/Casnewydd  NP18 3QT Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675

'Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness' (Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms)