In his Liturgy, Order & the Law, Rupert BD. H. Bursell, an eminent  Angican
Canon Lawyer (and also an Anglican Priest) (Clarendon Press, 1996) ,,  p105
says in a section on "The Holy Table and Communion Plate" as follows:
"in every church or chapel a Holy Table, or altar, must be provided for the
 celebration of Holy Communion". Footnote 74 to that statement adds: "It
must be  convenient and decent and must be of wood, stone, or other suitable
material"

I think this gives an authoritative answer to this question, and allows
stone altars. I certainly know of many in Anglican parish churches.

Gordon Plumb (Revd).
.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]