Dear MeCCSA member/subscriber,

As you will know, the Government's proposals for the funding of Higher
Education involve the complete cutting of teaching grants for degree
courses in arts, humanities and social sciences at England's universities.
Only STEM subjects and some modern languages are to be subsidised.

This will hit our field especially hard. Unlike STEM subjects, arts,
humanities and social science courses that like us receive Band C HEFCE
funding will under these proposals receive no government support to cover
the extra cost of the teaching we provide. Our field is already under
threat, and will become more so under these proposals.

MeCCSA has therefore prepared a campaign pack for our members. It is
available on the website, and includes sample letters to send to MPs. The
parliamentary vote on these proposals is likely to be very soon, so as
MeCCSA Chair, I urge you to take action now.

Sue Thornham

Chair of MeCCSA