Nick Poole wrote:

> We have also seen the beginnings of a backlash against critical mass
of
> data in favour of creating fewer assets that are more richly described
and
> cotextualised with narrative. This is not the European model, which
still
> favours quantity, but over here, I think we have learned that breadth
is
> relatively pointless without depth and reach. We are likely to see in
the
> coming years a strengthening of the 'digitise less, describe better,
share
> with web-scale partners' argument, replacing the research-led priority
> pursue breadth of coverage of collections.

I've seen this assertion floating around a bit but I haven't been able
to source it.  Can you give examples of where and how this backlash is
taking place?

I'm seeing a renewed interest in story telling, but if we want to let
*other people* tell stories with our collections then a certain critical
mass of digital data is necessary.

As an aside, I'm really interested in research on general audience
engagement with stories and narratives vs catalogues vs 'exhibitions
online'  - does anyone know of any?

cheers, Mia

For updates on all Science Museum news and events sign up to our free e-newsletter at www.sciencemuseum.org.uk

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and are confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately, delete the message from your computer system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not reflect the views of the National Museum of Science & Industry. This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.