(Obviously the budget cuts are hurting the MCG servers a bit as this message took forever to get to us down here in the colonies)

Anyway, on that FOI, the question that was asked was only about revenue for online licensing. It would entirely make sense that that figure was very low - because most, if not almost all, of the revenue in image licensing comes from *offline* licensing. And the ~12K quoted in the response pales in comparison to the ~300+K for overall image licensing from the annual accounts on their website (http://www.npg.org.uk/about/corporate/accounts.php).

I'm just pointing that out because none of us should jump to financial conclusions about other institutions.

And to clarify some of our own figures . . . . I know it has been said that we are making **profit** since we engaged with Flickr etc. Let me categorically say that we are NOT. These have been misquotes.

Taking a year on year approach, in the initial years we had a rise in income (**but not profit**), and we certainly didn't have a drop in income.
But this year that is not the case. Cause and effect are not clear cut.

And of course we're only talking one business unit's income. This doesn't include all the costs involved in digitisation.

Certainly I know Paula Bray, who manages the digitisation and image sales teams at the Powerhouse, would argue that the museum has benefitted greatly from releasing images but mainly through *indirect income generation*, organisational change, as well as all the 'social good stuff'.

Seb

Sebastian Chan
A/g Head of Digital, Social and Emerging Technologies
Powerhouse Museum, Sydney, Australia
s - 500 Harris St Ultimo | p - PO Box K346, Haymarket, NSW 1238
t - +61 2 9217 0109  | m - +61 (0) 413 457 126
e - [log in to unmask]  | w - www.powerhousemuseum.com/blog

This email and attachments are for the use of the intended recipient(s) only and may contain confidential or legally privileged information or material that is copyright of Powerhouse Museum or a third party. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. Any views expressed in this message and attachments are those of the individual sender and the Powerhouse Museum accepts no liability for the content of this message.