From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Roy Clare
Sent: 27 October 2010 21:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: budget pressures

Oh, Liz, but this is happening already in scores of councils!

Like many colleagues on this forum I can list service points all over the place that are being kept open by Ward Councillors keen on their votes. As a result, there are numerous examples of Cabinet-led decisions to block “library closures”. These councils are therefore unable to deal with their infrastructure properly, with costs tied up in often decrepit, unattractive buildings that serve small and dwindling numbers of users; and with patchy services to other areas where new (and often rural) populations are starved of library provision.

This is a perverse situation, in which democratic influences keep open some service points and fail to improve services for the population as a whole.

In many cases a better library service could result from properly-managed estate; with overhead costs better controlled; and with a more strategic approach than is enabled by the nation’s existing arrangements for local government control of public library services.

The MLA has been saying these things for some time and – in many councils – receiving a positive hearing for our advice and support. Once the MLA disappears local government will be handling these matters on their own.

Roy

Roy Clare CBE

Chief Executive Officer

Museums Libraries & Archives Council