Hello all

I have a fairly broad query and hope the LIS-LINK mind can help. I am investigating the logistics and benefits of lending IT/digital media equipment to library/museum users and staff. I am interested to find out which institutions are doing something like this, what technologies, media, or services are being offered, and whether any outcomes have been measured.

I already have a list of institutions who are offering this type of service to varying degrees, from the standard equipment loans at UK universities, to the digital media lab at Open University and Media Zoo at University of Leicester. I'm sure I've missed out on a lot, and it would be interested to see how these services are developing in the HE/FE, public library, and cultural sector.

Specifically, I'd like to find out:

1. What type of equipment are you lending? (iPad, iPod, netbooks, e-book readers, laptops, media production equipment)

2. Are users permitted to remove the equipment from the premises, either to their offices or homes?

3. If you are lending e-book readers of some variety, how do you manage downloads to the device?

4. Do you offer any social study or meeting places? If yes, do you make any web conferencing equipment/software available?

5. How have these services impacted on your library? I'm interested in both the positives and negatives (Increased user satisfaction, increased use of subscription e-resources, bureaucratic/administrative challenges, theft, etc.)

Any feedback you can offer would be very much appreciated. I will collate the information and report back to the list.

Best wishes
Jennifer Phillips-Bacher
Assistant Librarian
Discovery and Engagement
Wellcome Library
183 Euston Road
London NW1 2BE
Tel : +44 (0) 20 7611 8746
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7611 8369
Web: http://library.wellcome.ac.uk

The Wellcome Trust is a charity registered in England, no. 210183. Its sole trustee is The Wellcome Trust Limited, a company registered in England, no. 2711000, whose registered office is at 215 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, UK.