Good idea in principle but should have been planned several years ago to be happening now. It is difficult to get interest aroused when the appropriate anniversary was passed. 2003 was a missed opportunity.  Perhaps we should start planning for the next big one whenever that is.  I think about 2019 is the centenary of his death.

Best wishes

John

From: library and book history [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Peter Freshwater
Sent: 25 November 2010 17:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Happy 175th birthday, Andrew Carnegie

Today Scotland, and especially Dunfermline, celebrates the 175th birthday of Andrew Carnegie.  Dunfermline is proposing a revamped and extended town museum with a link to the Andrew Carnegie Library.  I cannot help wondering whether this might be an opportunity for some kind of permanent display on the history of libraries, especially public libraries, which could become the nucleus of a national library history collection and museum.  Might anyone else be harbouring similar thoughts, at all?

Peter

Peter B Freshwater,  MA, DipLib, FSA Scot
43 Corstorphine Road, Edinburgh EH12 5QQ, Scotland
Tel: 0044 (0)131 337 7049
Email: [log in to unmask]