CILIP Training & Development are pleased to announce our January 2011 courses. Don't forget - CILIP members receive up to 40% discount on all CILIP training.

CRITICAL APPRAISAL SKILLS FOR HEALTHCARE LIBRARIANS: THE BASICS
Gain the skills to critically evaluate research papers and interpret their findings. This established CILIP course provides a solid introduction to the process and techniques used when critically appraising research papers in the healthcare field.

PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS
*Critical appraisal of quantitative research
*Critical appraisal of systematic review
*Qualitative research vs. quantitative research

FULL DETAILS:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/critical-appraisal-skills-the-basics.aspx

CREATING A TAXONOMY: HOW TO GET STARTED*new*
Identify and adapt classification schemes, enabling you to develop systems ranging from file plans, to encoding schemes for databases to controlled vocabularies for intranets. This new CILIP course provides a practical introduction to the development of information taxonomies.

PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS
*Types of classification
*Software to support taxonomy development
*Identifying and adapting classification schemes

FULL DETAILS:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/creating-a-taxonomy-how-to-get-started.aspx

COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT AND THE DIGITAL ECONOMY ACT *new*
18 JANUARY 2011 (HALF-DAY, PM)
How will the Digital Economy Act 2010 affect library and information services? This new CILIP course looks at a series of practical steps to ensure copyright compliance in the workplace, especially those working in Public and HE/FE libraries.

PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS
*Ofcom code
*Copyright infringement
*Technical measures
*Practical steps to ensure compliance with the DEA

FULL DETAILS:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/copyright-infringement-and-digital-economy-act-2010.aspx

BUILDING WEBSITES FOR MOBILE PHONES *new*
Smart phone explosion means more and more people search the web on their mobile devices. Learn how to create your own mobile-friendly version of a static website from scratch, free from IT or development costs. A highly practical CILIP course that will book fast!

PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS
*The principles of structuring a mobile-friendly website
*Creating a mobile-friendly site from a static website
*Promoting your mobile sites

FULL DETAILS:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/building-websites-for-mobile-phones.aspx

DEWEY: A BEGINNERS GUIDE
A highly practical CILIP course introducing you to Dewey and how to use the DDC22 system.  Learn how to carry out simple classification, analyse built numbers and build complex notation.

PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS
*Basic navigation: the schedules, index and manual
*Building numbers: using standard sub-divisions, place and time, building within the schedule
*Understanding other people numbers

FULL DETAILS:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/dewey-a-beginners-guide.aspx

GETTING THE MOST OUT OF GOOGLE(tm)
Bring the most relevant hits to the top of the search list and even get the answers to quick reference enquiries without having to click through to other sites!
Simply entering subject terms alone will not always deliver the best results. This popular and well-established CILIP course which show you how to use Google(tm) more effectively.

PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS
*How it works and why it matters
*The future - what's going on in the labs?

FULL DETAILS:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/jobs-careers/training/pages/getting-most-out-of-google.aspx

Don't forget all CILIP Members receive a 40% discount on all our training courses.
Browse all our courses online: http://www.cilip.org.uk/training

Can't make it to our London training venue? Why not have our training brought to you with our Onsite training programme. Any of the above courses can be delivered direct to your workplace if you have 5 or more people with training needs.
Find out more:  http://www.cilip.org.uk/onsite