Dear colleagues,

Just to provide an update on this, we have heard that the DfE has still not
yet decided what to do and is refusing to give a date for a decision. The
assistantships team at the BC would appreciate any letters to the DfE on
behalf of them and the scheme. Here in Bath we are about to send such a
letter.

So - another protest to add to the growing list!

Best wishes,
David

--On 04 November 2010 14:37 +0000 Martha Worsching
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear colleagues in German Studies in England and Wales,
>

> Many of you will have seen the article in the Independent on 23rd October
> 2010, about the government?s lack of commitment to the British Council
> Language Assistantship programme:
>

> ?Century-old teaching programme suspended after spending cuts?,
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/centuryold-tea
> ching-programme-suspended-after-spending-cuts-2114235.html
>

> In fact, as the British Council website says:
>

> ?Recruitment is not open for candidates in England and Wales
> (undergraduates studying languages at a university in England or Wales or
> independent applicants living in England or Wales). The Language
> Assistants programme is managed for England and Wales by the British
> Council on behalf of the Department for Education (DfE). As the programme
> is funded by the DfE, it is subject to the current government review of
> all public spending and at this stage we are unable to open recruitment
> for English Language Assistant placements in 2011-12. As soon as we are
> advised of the outcome by DfE, we will update the guidance on this site.
> Please return to this page to check on progress in due course.?
>
> (http://www.britishcouncil.org/languageassistants-ela-how-do-i-apply.htm)
>
> This is very serious for any students hoping to go out as Language
> Assistants in 2011-12, and, as Talin Chakmakjian, the Project Delivery
> Manager for the scheme has told me today, the recruitment process is
> already weeks behind; if the DfE does not clarify the situation very
> soon, a whole generation of potential assistants is in jeopardy. In a
> country where good linguists are becoming increasingly rare, we cannot
> stand by and just hope for the best.
>
> I would therefore urge colleague to send faxes to the DfE: 01928-794248
> and express your concern.
>
> Please urge your colleagues in other languages to do the same and also
> write to your local MP.
>

> What else can we do as Germanists?
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Martha Wörsching
> Department of Politics, History & International Relations
> Loughborough University,
> LOUGHBOROUGH
> LE11 3TU/UK
> Tel +00 44 (0)1509 222998
> http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/eu/
>
> Office Hours:
> Tuesday from 10-12 am
>

> Reviews Editor of the JOURNAL OF CONTEMPORARY EUROPEAN STUDIES
> For further information on this journal, please visit the following
> website:
> http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/

Dr David Clarke
Senior Lecturer in German
Director of Undergraduate Programmes
Department of European Studies and Modern Languages
University of Bath
Bath BA2 7AY
Tel: +44 (0) 1225 386244

http://germanstudiesblog.wordpress.com/