Please see below interesting Call for Papers from MIRAJ

*source: *
http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals/view-Journal,id=207/view,page=2/
*
*
*Call for Papers*

The *Moving Image Review & Art Journal* (MIRAJ) is the first peer-reviewed
publication devoted to artists’ film and video, and its contexts. It is
published twice a year in print by Intellect Books in collaboration with the
CCW Graduate School, University of the Arts London. MIRAJ offers a widely
distributed international forum for debates surrounding all forms of
artists’ moving image and media artworks.

The editors invite contributions from art historians and critics, film and
media scholars, curators, and, not least, practitioners. We seek pieces that
offer theories of the present moment but also writings that propose
historical re-readings. We welcome essays that:

• re-view canonical works and texts, or identify ruptures in the standard
histories of artists’ film and video;
• discuss the development of media arts, including the history of imaging
technologies, as a strand within the history of art;
• address issues of the ontology and medium-specificity of film, video and
new media, or the entanglement of the moving image in a ‘post-medium
condition’;
• attempt to account for the rise of projected and screen-based images in
contemporary art, and the social, technological, or political-economic
effects of this proliferation;
• investigate interconnections between moving images and still images; the
role of sound; the televisual; and the interaction of the moving image with
other elements including technology, human presence and the installation
environment;
• analyse para-cinematic or extra-cinematic works to discover what these
tell us about cinematic properties such as temporal progression or
spectatorial immersion or mimetic representation;
• explore issues of subjectivity and spectatorship;
• investigate the spread of moving images beyond the classical spaces of the
cinema and the gallery, across multiple institutions, sites and delivery
platforms;
• consider the diverse uses of the moving image in art: from political
activism to pure sensory and aesthetic pleasure, from reportage to
documentary testimony, from performativity to social networking;
• suggest new methods of theorizing and writing the moving image.

We welcome work that intersects with other academic disciplines and artistic
practices. We encourage writing that is lucid without compromising
intellectual rigour.

We publish the following types of writing: scholarly articles (5000–8000
words); opinion pieces or polemics (1000 words); feature articles and
interviews (3000 words); reviews of books, exhibitions, and events
(1500–3000 words). Only scholarly articles will be blind peer-reviewed. All
writings should propose a central idea or thesis argued through a discussion
of the work under review.

All submissions should be in English and adhere to the Intellect Style Guide
(http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals/page/index,name=journalstyleguide/
)

For scholarly articles, please submit completed manuscripts. For all other
types of writing, please only submit 500 word proposals in the first
instance. Send all contributions and proposals by e-mail in doc or rtf
format to the Editorial Assistant, Kate Pelling, CCW Graduate School,
University of the Arts London: [log in to unmask]

Deadline for submissions: 31 January 2011.

--
** The Lost Museum - Classroom
http://chnm.gmu.edu/lostmuseum/classroom.php

# Fabulous Imperialism! - The 1893 Columbian Exhibition*
*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wzyRepJuvM&feature=channel*

# *"I am so sorry to say that the subject I most disliked was mathematics.
I have thought about it, I think the reason was that mathematics leave no
room for argument. If you made a mistake, that was all there was to
it."  Malcolm
X*

# *"Education is our passport for the future, for tomorrow belongs to the
people who prepare for it today." Malcolm X*

*Malcolm X in Manchester + Sheffield by Marika Sherwood*
*http://www.workershistory.org/linked_docs/NWLHJ27_Sherwood.pdf*

*Malcolm X - BBC Interview (1964)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/interview-with-black-muslim-leader-malcolm-x-in-1964/5588.html

*
**SMALL SCALE, BIG CHANGE: New Architecture of Social Engagement
http://moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2010/smallscalebigchange/
* **
**N**EW** **OB**JECT LE**SSONS COME TO VICTORIA BATHS*

Victoria Baths
Hathersage Road, Manchester M13 0FE
0161 224 2020
*www.victoriabaths.org.uk*

*3. Bombay Mix*: 24 November 2010, 10am- 1pm, £10/£5 (Friends of Victoria
Baths)

*4. Manchester Blues*: 15 December 2010, 10am- 1pm £10/£5 (Friends of
Victoria Baths)

 Aimed at anyone involved in the cultural heritage sector, this
thought-provoking CPD programme will offer a fantastic opportunity to
discover how our sporting heritage can be used as a tool:

- to explore local heritage from a multicultural perspective

- to generate sustainable cross-cultural content

- to create interdisciplinary narratives + interpretations

- to promote + support self-learning

- to explore British Art

*Booking essential at [log in to unmask]*

*

* <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reggies-Roller-Palace/121153831229320>

*

*