Works for me. What I did:

first load a suitable structural (at a pinch you could load the stat image twice*); add the stat image; use the info dialog to set desired colormap; enter 3D mode; double click on the structural/pial surface image in the overlay list (it should disappear), select the stat image in the overlay list; change the min to some value above zero** , now you should be able to see the surface.

* A stat image, because of the range of values, is not well suited to rendering as the pial surface and I'm afraid fslview assumes that's what is intended (sorry!).
** The min value gets used as the threshold value for segmenting the rendered surface. Adjust min to re-threshold as required. NB zero is interpreted as background and so not a useful low threshold value.

Dave