Thanks. I used mri_annotation2label to create the labels and use
lh.lateralorbitofrontal.label and
lh.superiortemporal.label to track the uncinate fasciculus.

I converted lh.superiortemporal.label  to lh.superiortemporal.nii.gz using
mri_label2vol
I used probtract as
 probtrackx  -x lh.lateralorbitofrontal.label  --mesh=lh.white.asc
--xfm=fs2fa_warp --invxfm=fa2fs_warp --seedref=brain.ni.gz  -s ../merged
-m=../nodif_brain_mask --dir=fibretrack -l -c 0.2 -S 2000--steplength=0.5 -P
5000 --forcedir --opd  --waypoints=lh.superiortemporal.nii.gz
 --stop=non_wm_mask.nii.gz

But I got empty tract.  I think that I got empty result since of --waypoints
option. lh.superiortemporal is a ROI in the coritical region, it is supposed
that there is no tract passing this ROI.  My understanding is that
Probtractx doesn't use an FA threshold and use consistent directions to
follow for tractography. Generally, the fibre tracks will turn away from the
cortical regions when they are in the vovels near the cortical regions.  So
the target mask can not be in the cortical regions.  But I think that my
understanding is wrong, since I knew there were success using the target
mask in the cortical regions from old archive. Could you please help me
clarify?

For my case,  what should I do on your experience?
Thank you very much

Best

Shugao

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Saad Jbabdi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  mri_label2vol uses the coordinates to know where it is in the brain.
> probtrackx uses the coordinates to track, but needs to know the surface
> label in order to calculate the normal to the surface...
> in your label file, all the coorinate IDs are set to -1. I assumed that was
> because you used tkmedit instead of tksurfer (I might be wrong here).
>
> saad.
>

>  On 12 Nov 2010, at 16:40, Shugao Xia wrote:
>
>  Hi, Saad,
> It does work,  since tksurfer doesn't work in my mechine, I can not
> check the label in tksurfer.
> but using mri_label2vol convert label file into .nii.gz, feed into fslview
> with brain.nii.gz,
> they look matched.  I can't understand why the label file is not valid.
>
> Thank you for your patience and help
>
> Best
>
> Shugao
>
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Saad Jbabdi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>  Hi
>> Your label file is not valid: the vertex coordinates do not point at
>> locations in lh.white.
>> You need to create your label file using tksurfer, not tkmedit.
>> Or if you are using the aparc segmentation, you can create a label file
>> for each parcel using mri_annotation2label
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Saad
>>
>>  On 12 Nov 2010, at 15:36, Shugao Xia wrote:
>>
>>  I have uploaded my data. The ref # 162936
>> Thank you very much for your help
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Shugao
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Saad Jbabdi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>>  Can you upload your (tar-zipped) data (including the label files and
>>> the lh.white.asc) to www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/upload.cgi
>>> and send the 6-digit ref number?
>>>
>>> Saad.
>>>

>>>  On 11 Nov 2010, at 22:20, Shugao Xia wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi, Saad,
>>>
>>> I couldn't get the right ROI label from Freesurfer.
>>>
>>> I did it as following:
>>> 1) tkmedit 001 brain.mgz
>>> 2) File ---> load segmentation ---> select aparc+aseg.mgz  and for color
>>> table, choose FreesurferColorLUT.txt
>>> 3) click on the label needed (lh_...)
>>> 4) Tools ---> segmentation ---> select main segmentation lable at cursor