Ah statements such as this are why (right or wrong!) there's so much hostility to Philosophy. I'll reply more in detail later, but suffice to say for the present that we're all--in some small  measure-- Kantians now.

BH

Ah, philosophy transcends and stands at the center of the liberal arts, holding all the rest together

Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:47:58 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: 17th century question
To: [log in to unmask]

I remember once meeting an Israeli student in Florence who told me that in Israel (at the time, 1983) once you have mastered a natural science subject, say physics or chemistry, you then go on to study the philosophy of said subject. Seemed like an interesting notion.

I also remember - as a counterpoint - a very well-read journalist colleague of mine at the Neue Zürcher Zeitung (some ten years ago) who loved reading about all sorts of potentially philosophy-inflected subjects, but hated and abhorred philosophy as such. I wonder why?!

Henry

Ah, philosophy transcends and stands at the center of the liberal arts, holding all the rest together, as illustrated here:

www.circles-of-confusion.com/phil-lib-arts.jpg

I have no idea of how any of this was actually made into an actual curriculum and course of study. (Well, Plato in The Republic holds off philosophy as a study until age 30, after the rest are mastered. No idea whether this was at all followed in his Academy.) As I said, I suspect that the scope and borders of the traditional liberal arts were bent and shifted as time went on. (There is a classic article by Paul Kristeller on the shifting boundaries of the arts, rather than the liberal arts.) For Plato astronomy is treated with mathematics; up until quite recently science was treated as natural philosophy. I've always been amused at what seems to be an assumption that you can pick out the metaphysical joints of the world by looking at the listing of departments in a college catalog.

(Should forward the above image to the provost of the college I teach at next time he cuts philosophy courses or raises the minimum number of students I need to allow my Philosophy and Film course to go.)