Dear Malcolm

Like you and most of us, I have too struggled with the same issue. Most recently, we developed dual visual analog scale (DVAS) rephrased from the regret theory point of view, as the approach that I find most useful in my own practice (see http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1472-6947-10-51.pdf). It enables elicitation of trade-offs (a key to decision-making), which traditional VAS could not do, but is simpler to understand that standard-gamble and time-trade-off methods ("gold" standard for elicitation of patient preferences). It also exploits both system 1 and system 2 cognitive processes.

 It consists of two questions that I found most people understand with no major difficulties:

1. On a scale 0 to 100, where 0 indicates no regret and 100 indicates the maximum regret you could feel, how would you rate the level of your regret if I/we failed to provide you with the necessary treatment (i.e. did not prescribe treatment that, in retrospect, I should have)?

2. On a scale 0 to 100, where 0 indicates no regret and 100 indicates the maximum regret you could feel, how would you rate the level of your regret if I had prescribed unnecessary treatment to you
(i.e. administered treatment that, in retrospect, you should have not been given)?

This give you the threshold, which then you can contrast with other prognostic, treatment or diagnostic information (in the paper, we provide one such approach, which we are currently developing in terms of decision-support system), but getting to elicit patient values (via simple threshold, as we show) is really the most important step.

This may or may not be applicable to anesthesia setting, but I would be interested in yours (and other folks) thought of our proposal.

Thanks

Best

ben

Benjamin Djulbegovic, MD, PhD
Distinguished Professor
University of South Florida & H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute
Department of Medicine
Chief, Division of Evidence-based Medicine and Health Outcomes Research
Co-Director of USF Clinical Translation Science Institute
Director of USF Center for Evidence-based Medicine and Health Outcomes Research
Tampa, FL 33612