Dear Malcolm
That's an excellent - and difficult - question. Different circumstances
will require different methods. A cardiac arrest, tennis elbow, and a
decision about major surgery have different dimensions of patient
involvement and options. In general practice, I most often use the
method suggested in the Irwig's book Smart Health Choices:
1. What would happen if I do nothing? (Natural history or prognosis) *
2. What are the treatment options?
3. What are the Benefits and harms? (What? When? How probable?)
4. How do the options change the prognosis?
Though I'll modify this with the type and severity of the condition.
but for some things (major surgery or warfarinization) a decision aid
might be warranted.
With either method, there can be the problem of adjusting the risks &
benefits to the individuals profile (as the User Guide suggests).
Sometimes we'll have a good clinical prediction rule to give the
absolute value, and sometimes we'll need to estimate that by using a
relative method (the ft and fh mentioned in the User Guide).
Cheers
Paul Glasziou
* Oncology friends tell me though don't like starting with this Q, but
for general practice - with lots of self-limiting conditions - its the
best place to start.

>>> Malcolm Daniel  29/11/10 14:25 >>>
Dear all,

This is a request for information on how to do that essential but often
under-reported step in EBM: integrating the best available evidence with
the
patient's values and preferences.

Situation:    My colleagues and I are trying to figure out the best way
introduce evidence into our conversations with patients and to integrate
their
values with the best available evidence.

Background:    We are familiar with one suggested way of integrating the
evidence
with the patients values:

Users’ Guides to the Medical Literature XX. Integrating Research
Evidence With
the Care of the Individual Patient
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/283/21/2829

The concept of factoring in the likelihood of being helped and harmed is
attractive * and while the arithmetic formula outlined in the above
article
looks relative simple:

LHHA=[(1/NNT)*ft*s]: [(1/NNH)*fh]

Where

LHH = likelihood of being helped vs harmed
NNT= number needed to treat to help/benefit
NNH= number needed to treat to harm
ft = risk of the treatment outcome event relative to that of the average
control
fh = risk of the harm outcome event relative to that of the average
control
s=severity factor,

we wonder how many health professionals do easy it is to carry out this
piece of
arithmetic in the real-life of every day clinical practice..

Assessment:      We wonder if and how fellow healthcare professionals
use this
approach in practice?    Has anyone developed a systematic approach to
do this
for the majority of patients they provide care for?

Recommendations:    I am interested in finding out the following
information:

1.    It would be interesting to hear of other practitioners experience
in using
such approach in their own practice.
2.    If you have knowledge of other publications using a similar or
easier
approach I would be grateful for your knowledge and sources of
information.
3.    If anyone is has tips / tools / experience of using this approach
in regular
day-to-day clinical practice I would like to hear about them too.
Many thanks for your help

Malcolm

Malcolm Daniel

Consultant in Anaesthesia & Intensive Care, Glasgow Royal Infirmary
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Health Foundation/IHI Fellow
Institute for Healthcare Improvement
20 University Road, 7th Floor