Dear all,

I have been receiving emails from this list for some time now. I always enjoy the discussion and invariably learn something important and/or useful! I am a surgery trainee currently doing a research fellowship in Yeovil (UK) and I am particularly interested in methodology, especially blinding and the assessment of its success in surgical trials. I appreciate that this is not strictly an evidence based health topic, but I have seen some interesting discussions loosely around methodogy and I would be very interested to hear your views about the importance of traditionally viewed 'gold standard' evidence (eg. RCTs) in surgical research and the need for blinding in this setting, where it is often difficult to achieve (due to attitude as much as logistcs!). I have lots of references on this topic, but if you are aware of any particularly good ones you think would be of use to me that would be greatly appreciated!!

I look forward to hearing your views.

Best wishes,

Caroline

Dr. Caroline Boulind