On a positive note(stealing a quote from our sister list-serv on HIFA):

Thomas Frieden (Director CDC) says:

 "We have within our power the tools to make enormous improvements in global
health. And we know that the key way to do that is to learn from experience.
To use that experience to strengthen our programs today and tomorrow, to be
able to reach into communities, to work with communities, and to bring the
best knowledge to bear to prevent disease and disability to the greatest
extent possible."

I wonder if this experience is something high impact factor journals seldom
publish? Are we producing bad research because we are not relating the
entire experience of the researcher that s/he may have felt/lived through
the entire period of the research beginning with conception, reflection,
brainstorming and data collection (the kind of data that one may sometimes
come across in author blogs?)?

There is a lot of data that is discounted by journals because its believed
those are redundant but then I wonder if including these back end processes
would strengthen rather than weaken the validity of our assumptions (as
represented currently in the rigid format of most of our journals)? We may
have to wade through more data ( a lot of them in a human narrative format)
but at the end of the day would that bring forth greater insights that are
otherwise archived in individual anecdotes (always humanly cherished at tea
time or even emails but detested in formal high impact journal platforms)?

We have the online space in current journals to accommodate the lived human
experiences of individual researchers but perhaps we require to build
bridges between those who are more used to recording human experiences
(labeled qualitative researchers) and those who can't be bothered with these
softer details ( often labeled quantitative researchers) although again many
of who have often demonstrated their talent in this area ( as evidenced by
their blogs and inputs to email lists were anecdotes are tolerated).

:-)

regards,

rakesh