Date : Wednesday 17 November 2010, 6 for 6.30pm

Subject : "Whole Life Cost Considerations for Track Infrastructure"

Venue: Derby: Midland Hotel - opposite Derby rail station (Derby, DE1 2SQ)

Speaker : Arthur Durham (Atkins)

Abstract :
Whether considering the profitability of an existing railway or the
feasibility of a new railway one of the most robust methods for
making this assessment is through whole life costing. Using this
concept one considers not only the initial capital cost of creating
the asset but also the ongoing cost of maintaining it to a prescribed
level of safety and performance for the duration of its economic
life. Recent demands for the reduction of Green house gas emissions
have allowed this model to be expanding to include the quantification
of the cost of CO2 emissions required for production, maintenance and
disposal of the asset. As a result of this broader focus the cost
benefit of other technologies, which until recently would not have
been deemed feasible, are now being considered for a range of track
form types.

If you would like to be on our mailing list, please send me an
e-mail. More information may be obtained about the various talks at :

http://emgg.lboro.ac.uk

Regards,

Ashraf

---------
Dr A. El-Hamalawi BEng, PhD (Cantab), MASCE,MCGS,RegEES
Senior Lecturer in Geomechanics
Civil and Building Engineering Department,
Loughborough University,
Loughborough LE11 3TU
United Kingdom

Tel: +44-1509-223206