Dear EATAW colleagues,

I would be grateful if any one of you can give me the name or names of
reputable Hungarian-to-English translators, ideally who have a working
knowledge of German and are in the Budapest area.

The context is as follows.  I am working as editor and proof-reader
for an international team of border scholars who are investigating
aspects of communities that did not go to war during the dissolution
of Yugoslavia in the 1990s. Their only common language is English and
their work must be published in English, starting in 2011.

The research entails a great deal of interviewing.  One of the
scholars, a sociologist with whom I've worked before, is especially
gifted in gaining insights from these interviews and uses them
skillfully to make important points.  The trouble is that, as a
Hungarian L1 speaker and German L2 speaker, she really has never
tackled English and thus has not been able to assess the quality of
the translators she has found to date.  Unfortunately, their
translations have been so uneven and sometimes so poor that I have
needed to reconstruct the English text in a German conversation with
the scholar.  This is clearly not very effective and I often feel I
can't capture the subtly of her thoughts.

With thanks for any references you can provide,
Jeannette Regan

Dr. Jeannette Regan
Jubiläumsstrasse 59
3005 Bern
Switzerland
Tel. +41 31 351 90 70
www.jeannette-regan.ch

"The Dance of Learning:  On Encounters in Adult Second-Language
Learning" is available from Peter Lang Publishing Group.
http://www.peterlang.com/index.cfm?vID=430017&vLang=F&vHR=1&vUR=2&vUUR=1