Dear GEM and DLNET

First of all, apologies if anyone gets this twice!

I thought the lists might be interested to hear about some new online learning resources we’ve created recently at Museum of London.  The resources are part of a project supported by the Citi Foundation and are aimed at KS4 Citizenship/PSHE students.  The project has already developed a KS4 session at Museum of London Docklands called ‘Money makes the world go around!’ where students get a tour of Canary Wharf alongside their visit.  You can find out more about the visit here: http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/English/Learning/Teachers/whatson/eventDetails.htm?mode=s&eventID=299148248. These resources support this session.

We launched a game earlier this year called ‘Starting out’ (www.museumoflondon.org.uk/startingout).  This game was designed to help students aged 14-16 get better at managing their own money.  The idea is that the player has just left school and is about to embark on a new life in London.  At the start of the game they need to make decisions about what they are going to do, what kind of accommodation they will have etc, and then they go through a three-month cycle making decisions on how to spend their money.  They can check their balance throughout and at the end are given a statement showing what they’ve spent.

We have also, for the first time, produced supporting resources using Smart Notebook software.  These are a pre-visit presentation and a post-visit quiz to support the ‘Money makes the world go around!’ session.  The pre-visit presentation gives the students some background to the things that they are going to learn about in the session using some of the Museum’s collection.  It can also act as a standalone resource to introduce various topics to do with economic understanding and financial capability.  The post-visit quiz aims to consolidate what the students learnt on their visit.

You can look at all three resources from this page: http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/English/Learning/citi.htm (although you will need Smart Notebook software to be able to open the presentation and quiz).

We will be promoting the resources with an advert on TES online and through Google adwords, as well as with targeted adverts on the subject/Key stage pages of http://www.free-teaching-resources.co.uk/.  This is the first time I have tried TES adverts and targeted adverts on free-teaching-resources and so I’m hoping that they both drive a lot of traffic to the site.  We are also looking into whether or not we can share the resource on TES online resource’s section although this has not yet been confirmed.

Since this promotion and the use of Smart software is new to me, I thought it might be of interest to others who might be considering similar thing.  Please do contact me off list if you’d like to talk further about these.

Many thanks

Rhiannon Looseley

Rhiannon Looseley
Online Learning Manager, Learning
Museum of London
150 London Wall
London. EC2Y 5HN
Tel: 020 7814 5774
Fax: 0870 444 3853
Email: [log in to unmask]
www.museumoflondon.org.uk

Discover the story of the world’s greatest city and its people at the new £20 million Galleries of Modern London, now open at Museum of London.

Follow us online:
www.museumoflondon.org.uk
http://twitter.com/MuseumofLondon
www.facebook.com
www.scribd.com
www.mymuseumoflondon.org.uk/blogs

P Before printing, please think about the environment

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + DLNET list: Contact the list owner for assistance at [log in to unmask] For information about joining, leaving and suspending mail (eg during a holiday) see the list website at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=DLNET + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +