I would say that the employee has a valid grievance.

The bell that has been rung cannot be unrung, and the analysis of the prior records may be prejudicial to their employment.

Even if this proves to be lawful under the DPA, the passing and use of that data was at best a breach of confidence. A valid pragmatic solution is to ask the employee to be present to witness the destruction of any and all data, including the analysis of the absence pattern and all correspondence and notes related to it, yes, even in a non structured paper filing system.

I may be that this open action will satisfy the employee. It may not, but it shows a willingness to take responsibility for the event.