Ok, so if Mr A puts a photo of Mrs B on Facebook and Mr A's privacy
settings mean anyone can see it, then Mr A is a data controller

If Mr A is a data controller, while he does not have to register with
the ICO, the DPA does apply to him.

If that is the case then he must meet on of the conditions in schedule 2
of the Act to be able to process the data

If this was done without Mrs B's permission then I can't see that this
processing meets any of the other conditions (I don't accept the
argument that in this day and age, by having your photo taken you accept
that it may be put on-line)

Therefore, by placing the photo on Facebook, has Mr A (and probably most
UK users of Facebook) breached the Act?

James Walkom
Regulatory Consultant
Jelf