Hi Richard,

I think that there has been a failure to do any marketing - identify potential customers (travel needs not well served by existing forms of transport), design a system to meet their needs and then inform them about it (OYBike), rather than there being no need for the scheme.  Unlike London, there is no publicly available feasibility study and/or business plan - and I suspect there isn't one of value.

With a little help form Google, the UWIC campus at Llandaff is 1.7 miles from the city centre and 2.2 miles from Central Station (through Bute Park and along the Taff Trail).  Cardiff Bay is 1.4 miles from the city.

Sophia Gardens/SWALEC cricket stadium and The Cardiff City Stadium are both between 1 and 1.5 miles from Central Station and in addition to sporting events host conferences.  There is a train station close to the football stadium - but the service runs just twice and hour.

Can/should public transport bikes compete against local trains and/or buses plus walking?  Can they complement bus and train services that are unable to offer a desirable frequency - or travel time?

Ian

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Richard Mann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Ian Perry
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The OYBike is ideal for people spending a day in Cardiff needing to reach
> residential addresses and/or destinations such as UWIC (university) campuses
> at Llandaf, Plas Gwyn and Cyncoed (all several miles from the city centre),

I'd have said you need a largish catchment within the lowish-speed
central urban street area in the 1-1.5 mile range (ie a bit far to
walk, but not feeling like too much effort to cycle and not needing to
do too much route planning).

Several miles is too far.

Richard