Hi,

Just spotted this:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/cars-to-blame-in-most-accidents-involving-bicycles-says-research-calling-for-new-passing-rules/story-e6frg6nf-1225958334292   I must unearth full study.

Andrew, did you finish off your report on this study.  If so, I'd love to read it!

Best wishes,
Damien

On 24 August 2010 13:18, Ian Perry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi,

I have checked the Swiss laws, and not found any rules for passing distance.

However, I did find this from the Swiss Federal Roads Authority (FEDRO) - written by a God, to be implemented by 2012:

"Increasing the percentage of cyclists wearing helmets (Measure 407)
The wearing of a helmet when cycling will be strongly promoted
through incentives and awareness-raising. If persuasion fails to induce
a majority of cyclists to wear a helmet, compulsory measures will be
introduced."

"Cyclist injures herself
A schoolgirl on a bicycle was startled on a bend by an oncoming car that
was being driven correctly. She braked so hard that she fell off her bike and
suffered serious injury. She was not wearing a helmet at the time.
In 2003, cyclists were involved in:
– 48 fatal accidents
– 902 accidents with serious injuries
Via sicura measures intended to prevent cycling
accidents:
➔ increasing the percentage of cyclists wearing
helmets
➔ traffic separation and coexistence solution
➔ traffic calming
➔ instruction in mobility and safety at all levels
of education"

and:
"Eliminating potential danger spots (Measure 302)
Potential danger spots on cantonal and communal roads will gradually
be eliminated."

and:
"Eliminating accident black spots (Measure 303)
Accident black spots on cantonal and communal roads will gradually
be eliminated."

The Swiss Federal Roads Authority (FEDRO) clearly, in their "top-down" wisdom, believe that through rules and engineering, they can cure the symptoms of our problems.

Ian

reference: http://www.astra.admin.ch/themen/verkehrssicherheit/00236/index.html?lang=en