On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Richard Burton
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> But all the evidence shows that drivers pass cyclists closer when there is a
> narrow cycle lane than if there was none, increasing the risk of collision.

Some of the evidence shows that narrow cycle lanes can be associated
with a slight reduction in accidents, and an increase in cycling
(notably a study done of the implementation of cycle lanes in Oxford
in the 80s). See
http://www.cyclox.org/what-we-say/dual-network/safety-of-cycle-lanes/

The critical factors appear to be traffic speed of 30mph or less, and
painting cycle lanes across side road junctions.

The evidence you refer to is (I believe) mostly concerned with >30mph
situations (and as Dave says, the link to collision risk is assumed
not established). If you know of any evidence about <=30mph
situations, please provide a link.

Richard