Yeah, and I have been guilty of a distorted sense of the timescales. Certainly 1990 – 2006 seemed to me, living in SE England, a time of rapidly accelerating climate change impacts and I felt at that time that things could unravel climatically any day. And you know, that may well still be true. The 2003 heat wave wasn’t predicted. We simply do not know what tomorrow will bring.

So I am something of a social constructionist. Assuming two degrees is a dangerous limit is a myth, a social construction. Two degrees could be fine (though I doubt it). I.5 degrees could be the end game. Thing is, if we accept we do not know, instead of assuming experts have the answers, then we should all be involved in a collective and democratic debate about the risks we want to take in this state of complete ignorance. It is not valid to construct climate change as a scientific phenomenon which can be managed through instrumentalist epistemologies, technological interventions, and slight modifications to our behaviour as consumers.

From: Discussion list for the Crisis Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alastair McIntosh
Sent: 24 November 2010 13:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cold spell coming ...

Yes, Chris, I think that's the issue. It's about people's perceptions ... the kinds of issue Mike Hulme raises in his writing, the issue of differing perception planes, though we have to be careful that doesn't lead us into "climate change as social construction" postmodernism.

I think that a mistake made by much of the green movement, taking Lovelock and Hansen too much at a simplified face value, has been to not factor in sufficiently the timescale of climate change. By 2007 a lot of people were thinking that disaster was looming tomorrow. Various movies exploited that mis-perception. Events like New Orleans also fed it. Trouble was, it all led to parts of the green movement being not sufficiently frank that the melting of icecaps takes hundreds of years, not years. That is why "The Age of Stupid" always worried me - it had the timescales all awry. The reason they left out of the public message, or even distorted as with the film just mentioned, was the imperative to wake people up But the downside is such things attuned the public to the wrong temporal wavelength, and the consequent problem we're now having to face is they've gone back to sleep even more determinedly than before!

A.