I think the main response has to be that, rather than using oil more efficiently, we should stop using it entirely as fast as we can.

And that 'as fast as we can' implies a war-time effort. I believe we could do the same again, getting an infrastructure for electric vehicles ready in one decade.  The Zero Carbon Britain report from the Centre for Alternative Technology has a scenario for reduction to zero use of fossil fuels in twenty years, and when I asked the ZCB project director, Paul Allen, if we could do it faster than this if we had a war-time economy he replied 'Yes, but the public wouldn't accept it, because climate change isn't as visible a threat as Hitler'

Chris

On 16/11/2010 20:35, Marianne McKiggan wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Page A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 16 November 2010 12:36:41 GMT
To: "[log in to unmask]'" <[log in to unmask]>, "Page A." <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]'" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]'" <[log in to unmask]>, "'Janet Coppard'" <[log in to unmask]>, "'Kate Allen'" <[log in to unmask]>, "Katharina Willems ([log in to unmask])" <[log in to unmask]>, "m.hobbs" <[log in to unmask]>, "'Marianne McKiggan'" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]'" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]'" <[log in to unmask]>, "'Pam'" <[log in to unmask]>, "paul.fresson" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]'" <[log in to unmask]>, rozfresson <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]'" <[log in to unmask]>, "'Sarah Hargreaves'" <[log in to unmask]>, "suella.long" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: FW: Peak Oil

See below……..

Best Wishes

Anton

Anton Page

From: David Knight [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 16 November 2010 10:54
To: Steve Brine; Jim Kirkpatrick; Chris Holloway; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Wendy Barnaby; Frank Barnaby; Bob Douthwaite; Xiao Hu-Wen; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Andrew Davis; Page A.; Whitmarsh R.B.; 'Brian Shorter'; Claire Jones; 'David Knight'; Dennis Garrison; 'Don Wooler'; Jessica Lloyd; Wright L.A.; 'Michael Farmer'; 'Michael Wilks'; Woodman N.D.; 'R Primer'; Robert Hutchison; 'Robin Speed'; 'Thomas Rushby'; 'Tom Dicks'
Subject: Peak Oil

Dear All,

The International Energy Agency, the Paris-based organization that provides energy analysis to 28 industrialized nations has changed its mind. In line with many other analysts, they now agree that peak oil has already happened!

The agency concludes in its latest annual report, released in November, that production of conventional crude oil probably peaked  for good in 2006 at about 70 million barrels a day. Production from currently producing oil fields will drop sharply in coming decades, the report suggests.

At the same time strong demand growth from China,  now the world’s largest energy user, and elsewhere will require liquid energy supplies not just to hold steady, but to climb by more than 20 percent.

 According to Nobuo Tanaka, the IEA’s exec director,  it is far from certain that tar sands and  increased production of natural gas liquids can compensate for decreasing crude production. At the IEA reports press launch Tanaka said , “Recent events have cast a veil of uncertainty over our energy future …We need to use energy more efficiently and we need to wean ourselves off fossil fuels by adopting technologies that leave a much smaller carbon footprint”.

IEA forecasts that oil prices should continue to climb in coming decades, reaching $135 a barrel by 2035, a price level that some economists believe contributed to the global economic collapse of 2008.

Some experts found the report’s projections troubling.

“It’s a perfect storm headed our way — a steady rise in global demand for oil crashing up against an increasingly limited supply of economically recoverable oil,” William Chameides, professor of environmental science at Duke University, wrote on his blog.

Your comments on how to respond would be welcomed,

All the best,

David