Dear BB,

Thanks for all of your helpful and useful comments

Whilst there was some agreement that simulated annealing should be enough to solve any problems, we have taken perhaps the cautious approach.
We have produced a freeR set in the bigger unit cell using reindex as suggested by Eleanor:

________________________________
This is easy to do
Reindex 2h,k,l then the cell will double; the FreeR will stay with the
reflection, and you can use those FreeRs to append to your new data in
the scala/truncate GUI.
All the unset ones (2h+1,k,l) will be given new FreeRs and the old ones
transferred.
Eleanor
________________________________
Mostly for the reasons as outlines by Ethan:

________________________________
One problem with shaking things up as you describe is that if
the original model was refined against higher resolution data
than your new data set, you will probably never get back to
the same model quality as you started with (see the ongoing
discussion in another thread).

And if the new data set is higher resolution, then you face the
same problem in reverse. If you want to take your eventual new,
higher resolution model back into the old cell you want
subsequent refinement to have unbiased Rfree on that end also.

        Ethan
________________________________

as we now have higher resolution data (than we had for the small unit cell before) for both the small and doubled unit cell - the highest resolution data is for the doubled unit cell with 4 chains, but we would like to refine in the smaller cell as well at some point for completeness.

As pointed out, there is a straight translation in the larger unit cell (doubled along a), h(odd) 0 0  reflections are weak, and Phenix Xtriage identifies the translation readily.
However, Phaser has correctly positioned 4 chains and we are happily refining in Refmac, so I think that should not be a problem.

Many thanks to all who commented on the BB and off line.

Cheers
Ed

T.Edwards Ph.D.
Garstang 8.53d
Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology
University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT
Telephone: 0113 343 3031
http://www.bmb.leeds.ac.uk/staff/tae/
"People who know nothing about cheeses reel away from Camembert, Roquefort, and Stilton because the plebeian proboscis is not equipped to differentiate between the sordid and the sublime." Harvey Day (1971)