From: James Holton [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2010 1:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] origin_shift in polar space group

Ah, looks like you are running one of my scripts!  Although I called it "origins.com", not "origin.com". Someone must have renamed the file at some point.

I have a newer (aka better) version of it here:
http://bl831.als.lbl.gov/~jamesh/pickup/origins.com

which "deals" with the problem you seem to have encountered where two different chains in the "moving" model agree with the "reference" model, but with different origin shifts.  This kind of thing happens a lot more often than you might think in molecular replacement and in heavy-atom finding programs.  For example, consider trying to find two copies of the same protein in an asymmetric unit, using a crummy search model.  After the first copy has been "found", putting the second copy in the "right" place can (on occasion) have about as much dissonance as consonance with the "first" chain, and the best-scoring position of the second chain will then be found "at random" (often as not on another origin).  I thought it was interesting to know when this happens, so I left that warning message in.  However, as Ian pointed out, when you have a sliding origin, it can be hard to say exactly when an origin shift is "the same" or different.

The new version of origins.com simply picks one and only one origin shift for all chains in the "moving" PDB file and then sticks with it.  I have implemented a new approach wich uses electron density map deconvolution that seems to work pretty well, and does not rely on atom names being the same in the "reference" and "moving" PDB files.

If you do have same-name atoms in both PDB files, then the CCP4 suite program "reforigin" or the Phenix program "emma" are both much faster than my script.  However, if you get some satisfaction out of watching each origin get tried in turn, giving you a "score" for each, or if you have something like a rough chain trace and you want to compare it to a "right answer" PDB file, then origins.com might be the thing for you.

Thanks!

-James Holton
MAD Scientist