Take any protein where a helix moves as a rigid body and look at your results.
Then fix the alpha helix and superimpose the rest of the structure on that moving helix and compare both results.
If you want to give it a shot try 2pc4 and the unliganded structure.

You see the difference in both methods ?

From a structural/functional perspective  one method will highlight the real differences in terms of movements.

For an initial understanding I recommend SSM and a morphing movie, that helps dissecting what might be going on.

Jürgen

Jürgen Bosch
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Johns Hopkins Malaria Research Institute
615 North Wolfe Street, W8708
Baltimore, MD 21205
Phone: +1-410-614-4742
Lab:      +1-410-614-4894