On 11/16/10 19:44, Julian Nomme wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite"> Dear all,

We are investigating the possibility to upgrade from an old 35mm film camera to a digital camera for taking crystal pictures through a microscope...

We are using an internet webcam for that purpose, the IQinvision IQeye3 (probably no longer available, it must be about 8 years old). It has its own network port and embedded web server. This allows us to connect to it from any computer on the lab network equipped with a browser. This circumvents the whole argument over which platforms are supported, which is nice because usually that question revolves around Windows vs. Mac, and some of us use Linux.

Another possibility you might consider is a digital microscope. In this setup, a microscope is built around a camera, with no eyepieces. The image is viewed on a computer monitor. That means the optics can be better optimised for the camera, and new features may be enabled, such as a scale bar overlaid on the images (since the cameras knows the zoom setting). I don't know if any manufacturer has ventured yet into digital microscopes with stereovision, or that are suitable for crystallography.

Cheers,
All Things Serve the Beam
                               David J. Schuller
                               modern man in a post-modern world