I very much agree with Tony about Forward. Some years back there was a court case brought by Forward against a man (can't remember his name) who campaigned ceaselessly against the vanity publishers. He accused them of being a vanity press in disguise. I don't know what happened in the end - I think Forward must have won. I wrote an article about Forward for Terrible Work but I never put it in the magazine in the end because basically I was saying something similar to the man they took to court, and I got cold feet - a good job I did. The essence of my article was that they were purely a business who had very cleverly seen a gap in the market and were milking it for all it was worth, and that they had no interest in the actual poetry.

They were part of a wider phenomenon though - that populist and patronizing wave that plagued the small press through the 90's, turning the scene into a muddy slosh that was just as much its downfall as the arrival of the web-zines. I can at least forgive, to a degree, those populists who did this out of some sort of political conviction - 'poetry for and of the people' etc, but I think Forward used those sentiments for plain old marketing reasons. They were very successful at it for quite a while.

Tim A.