Archives and Records Association Northern Region

Regional Meeting Barnsley Archives and Local Studies

There will be a regional meeting on Saturday 13th November at Barnsley Archives and Local Studies, Barnsley Central Library, Shambles Street, Barnsley, South Yorkshire, S70 2JF

Please let me know if you'll be able to attend as we'd love to see you there.

We'll be meeting for lunch informally in 'Walkabout' at 1 Church Street, Barnsley (Map at http://bit.ly/bd43zj ) from around 12.30pm onwards. The archives and lunch venue are both just a few minutes from Barnsley Train station.

The meeting will start at 2pm in the search room of Barnsley Archives and Local Studies. To kick us of off we'll have a half an hour talk on the new 'Experience Barnsley' Project, by the project director John Tanner.

Then our Vice-Chair Gary Brannan will lead a session on Archives under pressure which Gary emailed you about last week. Archive services in the UK are undergoing rapid and unprecedented time of change and the financial crisis of the last few years has already led to serious cuts to Archival funding with the almost certain possibility of more cuts in t he wake of the Coalition Government's Spending Review. Archives, like libraries, often find themselves bearing the brunt of these cuts. However it must not be said that Archives face just this issue alone - how do we deal with issues such as the change in nature of the Archival job market; the visibility (or lack of)the profession to funding bodies and the wider world alike; the prospects for our newly qualified and young professionals; as well as the eternal battle for resources within an organisation. We'll explore the issues, share experiences and come up with potential solutions; providing a forum for the exchange of ideas between Archivists, as Archivists in a fun, lively and constructive forum.

This will be following by a short business meeting and we expect to be finished by around 4.15.

I look forward to seeing you at the meeting,

Lizzy Baker
Communications Secretary to the Northern Region of Archives and Records Association.

County Hall
Beverley
HU17 9BA

Tel: (01482) 392790
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

are addressed.

Please note that the East Riding of Yorkshire Council is able to,
and reserves the right to, monitor e-mail communications passing through
its network.

If you have received this email in error please notify our mail manager
at [log in to unmask]

Whilst every effort has been made to check for viruses in this e-mail
and any attachments, the Council does not warrant that it or they are
free of viruses. If in any doubt then please ask for the hard copy.